As I watched the first presidential debate between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney last night I kept hearing Howard Cosell’s voice in the back of my mind… “Down goes Frazier, down goes Frazier, down goes Frazier!”
I expected Mitt Romney to fair pretty well in a head to head debate with Barack Obama, I was not expecting the drubbing I saw last night though. And make no mistake that what was, when Chris Matthews and rest of the MSNBC team call it win for Romney you know it wasn’t even close.
Charles Hurt sums things up beautifully at the Washington Times:
Bewildered and lost without his teleprompter, President Obama flailed all around the debate stage last night. He was stuttering, nervous and petulant. It was like he had been called in front of the principal after goofing around for four years and blowing off all his homework.
Not since Jimmy Carter faced Ronald Reagan has the U.S. presidency been so embarrassingly represented in public. Actually, that’s an insult to Jimmy Carter.
The split screen was most devastating. Mitt Romney spoke forthrightly, with carefully studied facts and details at the ready. He looked right at the president and accused him of being miles out of his depth.
Mr. Obama? His eyes were glued to his lectern, looking guilty and angry and impatient with all the vagaries of Democracy. This debate was seriously chafing him.
I’m not sure what to add to Mr. Hurt’s analysis… What we saw last night was the real Barack Obama, not the media manufactured messiah, he was clearly out of his depth. He’s a guy who has spent his entire political career voting “Present” and that exactly what he last night.
He didn’t offer anything new, he simply recited the same tired, old, worn out class warfare rhetoric and talking points he’s used throughout his presidency.
Anyway, here’s the video in case you missed:
- Candidates Spar Over Taxes – Wall Street Journal
- Romney goes on offense, forcing Obama to defend record – Washington Post
- Romney To Obama: You Were Fighting For Obamacare, Not Jobs – Breitbart.com
- Incumbent Debate Curse: Barack Obama Falls to Mitt Romney – National Journal
- Carville: ‘Mitt Romney came with a chainsaw’ – The Daily Caller
- Debate Ratings: Fox News Tops Cable News For First Debate, As More People Tune In Than 2008 – TV Newser
- Romney by Two Touchdowns – Charles Krauthammer, National Review Online
- Romney gains ground on Obama after strong debate – Reuters