Continuing with my catching up on things theme here…
It looks like the race for RNC Chair has tightened a little more.
I mentioned a few days ago that former House Speaker Newt Gingrich’s bid for appeared to be losing steam and now comes word that Fred Thompson is dropping out of the race in favor of a return to acting.
Putting aside the fact that I don’t think Thompson was ever really in the race that leaves Michael Steele as the only prominent Republican/conservative still in the running. Not everyone is crazy about him but I don’t think he would be a bad choice.
Unfortunately, I don’t think RNC members will choose Steele… I suspect they’ll choose a new chairman from within their own ranks… If media reports are right the top contenders among RNC members are:
- Robert M. “Mike” Duncan, 57, the current RNC chairman
- Katon Dawson, 52, the South Carolina GOP chairman
- Saul Anuzis, 49, the hyperactive Michigan GOP chairman
- Tina Benkiser, 46, Texas GOP chairman
- Jim Greer, 46, Florida GOP chairman
- Chuck Yob, 71, an RNC member from Michigan who is reportedly retiring from the committee.
Tina Benkiser is the only one of that group who is even mildly interesting to me… I’ll admit I don’t know much about her but at first glance she seems to have solid conservative credentials and she would bring young fresh face a Republican party that is viewed in many quarters as old and out of touch.